The words “personal information,” “data subject” and “operator” in this clause shall have the meanings given in the Protection of Personal Information Act No. 4 of 2013 (hereafter referred to as POPI). “BET Software” shall mean Betting Entertainment Technologies (Pty) Ltd (“BET Software”) which is the company to which you are submitting a bursary application.
Acknowledgement and consent to process your personal information:
We will accept the following as your consent to the current or future processing of your personal information:
- should you fail to advise us that you do not agree with this Policy and you wish to exclude all or some of the provisions of it, after you receive notification of this policy as contained herein;
- should you directly or indirectly through an agent or representative acting on your behalf, provide us with your personal information when you request information from us;
- should you verbally or in writing give your consent be it through a previous consent you may have given us or in the circumstances of an application form or survey or similar interaction with us.
We draw your attention to the fact that in terms of POPI and other laws of our country, there are instances where your express consent is not necessary in order to facilitate the processing of your personal information. These instances may relate to police investigations, litigation or when your personal information is publicly available.
Where you share personal information of other parties with us it is imperative that you are aware that we will rely on your conduct as consent on their behalf to the collection, use and disclosure of their personal information in terms of this personal information policy, and you warrant that you are authorised to give this consent on their behalf. We shall be entitled to rely on your actions as being proof of your authorisation. To this end, you indemnify and hold us harmless in respect of any claims instituted by yourself where you have consented to the processing of your information, or by any other person on whose behalf you have consented, should they claim that you were not so authorised. We will not be held responsible for any improper or unauthorised use of your personal information that is beyond our reasonable control.
What is the purpose for the collection, use and disclosure (the processing) of your personal information:
In order to conduct the application and selection process for bursaries and/or to fulfil our obligations in terms of a bursary contract it is necessary for us to collect, use and disclose your personal information. More specifically, you will note that your information may be collected, used and/or disclosed in instances that may include:
- processing payment to the educational institution and associated service providers, including accessing financial information to process and calculate those payments;
- obtaining payment approval, including credit approvals and care or other financial approval for payment;
- compiling statistics and research information, including but not limited to for BBBEE and Employment Equity reporting;
- compliance with the law; and/or
- for a purpose that is ancillary to the above and that relates to your bursary application and/or bursary contract with BET Software.
Your rights regarding the processing of personal information:
- You may withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information at any time. Should you wish to do so, you must provide us with reasonable notice to this effect. Please note that withdrawal of your consent is still subject to the terms and conditions of your application process or contract (or other agreement) that may be in place. Should you wish to withdraw your consent whereby the withdrawal would then result in the interference of legal obligations, such withdrawal will only be effective if we agree to same in writing. We specifically draw to your attention that the withdrawal of your consent may result in us being unable to continue with your application or contract.
- For purposes of withdrawing your consent, please contact Charlene Snyman – [email protected]
- You are encouraged to ensure that where your personal information changes in any respect to notify us so that our records may be updated. It is your responsibility to ensure that your personal information is correct and accurate.
- You have the right to access your personal information that we may have in our possession and you are entitled to request the identity of which third parties will receive and/or process your information for the purpose. Please note however, that your request in this regard may be declined in the following instances:
- it is costly to reproduce the information,
- the information comes under legal privilege in the course of litigation,
- The disclosure of your personal information in its current form may result in the disclosure of confidential or proprietary information,
- Allowing access to you may cause a third party to refuse to provide similar information to us,
- the information was collected in the furtherance of an investigation or legal dispute, instituted or being contemplated,
- the information as it is disclosed to you may result in the disclosure of another person’s personal information,
- the information contains an opinion about another person and that person has not consented to the circulation of the information,
- the disclosure is prohibited by any law in the Republic of South Africa.
- You have the right to submit a complaint to the Information Regulator regarding an alleged interference with your right to the protection of your personal information.
Our obligations regarding the processing of personal information:
We are responsible for making sure that your personal information is processed and utilised in accordance with the rules and requirements of POPI, and we therefore undertake to:
- obtain consent from you directly, where possible, and to the extent that it is necessary to access, use or process any of your personal information;
- ensure that you are made aware that your personal information will be transferred to third parties, the identities of whom we will disclose to you on request, who may require such information in order to support our obligations in either the bursary application and selection process in which you are participating, the awarding of bursaries and/or any future employment with BET Software; and
- ensure that you have been informed of the purpose of the transfer of your personal information as required in terms of POPI.
- The personal information that we will need to process may include, but will not be limited to:
· Full name and surname;
· Identity number;
· Date of birth;
· Email address;
· Contact numbers (telephone and mobile)
· Disability information;
· Education level;
· Educational institution;
· Cost of studies, books, accommodation (as applicable);
· Banking details of educational institutions;
· Examination results;
· Reference checking where applicable;
· Credit checks where applicable;
· Criminal checks where applicable;
· Qualification verification
Requesting access to your personal information
You can request access to your personal information that we hold on your behalf or the correction of your personal information. Due to the processes we have in place, it can take up to 21 days to respond to your request.. In certain instances there may be additional documents such as proof of identity or proof of residence required in order to process your above request. Please see below our contact details for our deputy information officers:
Deputy Information Officers
087 362 7000
PO Box 74234, Rochdale Park, 4034
65 Richefond Circle, Ridgeside Office Park, Umhlanga Ridge, Umhlanga, 4319