Learning a programming language is just one of many tasks required to become a software developer. Companies want to hire a well-rounded developer and assume you know the entire software development process inside out.
Software developers go through entire cycles of software development, and for that, they need to understand how the whole process works.
They need to understand the IT environment in which they will work, who they will work with, algorithms and data structures, and all the other elements that help to transform business ideas and requirements into viable software products.
This article will show you how to become a web developer. You will learn what this job offers, the skills required and its advantages. We will also answer the most frequently asked questions and provide all the relevant information you may need to decide.
How to be a software developer?
If you are already sure that programming is the path you want to follow, then you will have to develop (if you do not already have them), the following qualities:
- Logic: It is the ability you must have to convert the problems or needs of everyday life into algorithms and be able to solve them, programming a computer code. If someone asks you to make a specific program, imagine how you would do it, but imagining is easier than coding. Logic is what helps you turn all your ideas into a computer application that does what you want.
- Patience: A highly underrated but important trait. When programming, sometimes, you are going to get errors in the code; you will try several solutions and not see the desired results, which will cause you to throw the computer out the window. This is more normal than you imagine; That is why you must be calm and approach difficult situations with a lot of patience because the solutions are not always going to be in plain sight.
- Perseverance: It is closely related to the previous point. On some occasions you will be presented with moments in which it will be difficult to detect the error in a code; this could take you to a trial and error scenario, to arrive at the solution. The ability to not give up and always keep trying is what separates a normal programmer from an excellent one.
What exactly is a Software Developer?
A software developer is a person responsible for the development of computer programs and operating systems that we all use in our daily lives. From word processors to games and web or mobile applications, Software Developers are the ones who think and develop these programs so that we can use them more easily and efficiently.
What does a software developer do?
Software is the parts of computers and technical equipment that consist of software. Development of new programs and apps is done by software developers with knowledge in programming and system development.
Different devices, appliances, and machines use different languages and are programmed and set up correctly. It is therefore common among software developers to be particularly good at a certain language, such as Python or C ++. But software development consists of much more than programming and includes the entire development process, not just coding.
The degree of complexity in software development differs significantly in different projects. Smaller programs can often be written in a couple of hours while larger projects may require years of work by a dedicated team.
The availability of “ready-made code” and software that facilitates software development is increasing every year and many developers, therefore, use solutions with ready-made frameworks and code to achieve a faster and more efficient development process.
Examples of tasks in the profession, in addition to coding and programming that are often associated with software development, are the development of manuals and instructions for the end-users of developed software, customer interviews, and close collaboration with stakeholders to ensure effective solutions and positive customer experience, and reviews of existing systems for to discover and develop shortcomings and important areas of development.
Your tasks as a software developer, application developer, or programmer at a glance.
- Analysis of IT processes, architectures, and requirements
- Development of front and backend solutions
- Programming for example with Java, Ruby on Rails, C++, SAP
- Customer advice and support
- Setting up A/B tests
- Care, maintenance, and documentation of applications and processes
Is software development a promising career?
The profession of a software developer is in greater demand than ever, in almost every industry and every type of company it takes someone who forms new software life from source code. It is best if you have already written one or the other program in your free time. Because to get your dream job, practical experience is at least as important as a university degree.
In principle, developers can work in many areas. There are pure IT companies in which only developers work. But banks, authorities, insurance companies, and large companies from various sectors are also popular employers. Employed developers help to improve the company’s internal organization with special software.
What types of software development are there?
Now that you have an overview of different types of software development, it’s time to focus on the different types of software developers. Software developers can – just like programming languages - be categorized in different ways, but it is a very tangible categorization that reflects the work roles of software developers our customers are looking for.
Top 13 roles for software developers:
- Frontend developer
- Mobile developer
- Game developer
- Backend and system developer
- Application developer
- Computer scientists
- QA and test engineer
- Algorithm Engineer
- Embedded system developer
- Operating system developer (Linux, OS)
- DevOps engineer
- Full-stack developer
- Language and compiler engineer