BET Software is an innovative software development company, and the technical arm of the premier bookmaker, Hollywoodbets. As the leading betting brand in South Africa, with over 5 000 Team Members, Hollywoodbets dominates the online and retail space. Offering their services on a global front, customers are able to place bets anywhere, anytime. These cutting-edge solutions are proudly powered by BET!
BET Software is looking for a Senior SQL Developer To provide technical leadership as a Senior SQL Developer whose primary focus is to maintain and enhance BET Software’s MSSQL based database offering to ensure scalability/reliability and functionality of all databases. This role requires advanced T-SQL skills as well as the ability to mentor and guide junior team members. This role will report to the DBA Team Lead.
- Relevant IT Degree or Diploma
- Ensure Database design is robust, scalable and operating optimally.
- Work with other Developers, Support and Production DBA’s to make sure that the solutions meet application requirements and performance goals.
- Actively contribute to planning meetings, documentation and testing.
- Determine, drive and document database policies, procedures and standards within BET.
- Set and maintain database standards including coding standards.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents database artefacts;
- Create complex functions, scripts, stored procedures and triggers to support application development.
- Responsible for completion of development projects;
- Works with support teams to investigate operational problems/system requirements;
- Develops business cases, requirements and performance metrics as necessary;
- Prepares detailed technical specifications documents;
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses.
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity.
- Develop processes for optimizing database security.
- Performance tuning of database systems and queries.
- Create automation for repeated database tasks.
- Be available for on-call support as needed.
- Proactively find and resolve long-running queries and other Databases performance bottlenecks.
Initiative and Innovation
- Recommend and implement emerging database technologies.
- Implement improved processes that have a positive effect on the team’s performance and company bottom line.
- Take an active involvement in problem resolution and where necessary works after hours to ensure that problems are resolved.
- Shows foresight to prevent errors or delays in projects.
- Demonstrate initiative by understanding, acquiring and implementing new knowledge and skills both within the team and to the wider group.
- Incorporates the new abilities into the day to day operational activities to improve the performance of. products and systems.
- Ensure techniques, technologies, tools and processes used are in line with industry best practices.
- Identify team members requiring specific knowledge, skill or understanding and seek ways to impart or upskill the team members through coaching and mentorship.
- Verify the knowledge has been imparted successfully and if not, take steps to rectify gaps in the transfer of the knowledge.
- Provide technical guidance to the team through collaboration sessions and knowledge-sharing initiatives.
- Adapts to change and is open to new ideas and willing to take on new responsibilities.
- Able to handle pressure and can effectively adjust plans to meet changing needs/demands.
- Changes his/her interpersonal style and approach based on the circumstances.
- Adapts behaviour to maintain cooperative relationships with others.
- Accepts changes to task, plans and procedures in order to align with the strategic direction of the organization and appropriately adjusts behaviour and activities to changing conditions.
- Maintains a positive attitude in the face of change.
Decision Making Quality
- Makes confident, timely, fact-based decisions drawing on a broad range of resources through collaboration with others.
- Ensures others understand the decision before moving forward.
- Considers short- and long-term implications of the decision.
- Able to logically defend and explain judgements and decisions.
- Takes steps to accurately define the problem before seeking a solution.
- Bases decisions and evaluations on a careful and systematic review of relevant facts and information.
Resourceful and improving
- Generates new ideas and challenges the status quo, takes the risk, supports the change and encourages innovation.
- Searches for the opportunity to create new ideas and innovate or improve efficiencies wherever possible
- Solves problems through questioning the status quo.
Skills and Experience:
- 5-7 years experience in a commercial environment utilizing a high transaction database.
- 5+years’ experience in MSSQL-all aspects.
- Advanced SQL skills and query writing skills.
- Advanced troubleshooting SQL skills.
- Experience in designing/optimizing MSSQL Databases.
- Proven experience in mentoring other DBAs.