We Want You:
A role exists for a Senior Database Administrator at South Africa’s leading betting software solutions. We are looking for a well-motivated, energetic, inquisitive, highly proficient individual, who has a solid technical base. A technical expert to lead a team of Database Administrators whose primary focus is maintaining and enhancing BET Software’s MS SQL based database offering.
Our successful All-Star will administer, and secure organisational databases – ensuring the overall health of the system. We’re looking for someone with advanced SQL skills, as well as the ability to mentor and guide Junior Database Administrators. Your decision-making, problem-solving, and proactive attitude must be enhanced by effective collaboration with our internal and external Teams.
- 5-7 years experience in a commercial environment utilizing a high transaction database.
- 5+ years experience in MSSQL-all aspects.
- Advanced SQL skills and query writing skills.
- Advanced troubleshooting SQL skills.
- Experience in designing/optimizing MSSQL Databases.
- Proven experience in mentoring other DBAs.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure Database design is robust, scalable and operating optimally;
- Work with other DBAs to make sure that the solutions meet application requirements and performance goals;
- Actively contribute to planning meetings, documentation and testing;
- Determine, drive and document database policies, procedures and standards within the team;
- Set and maintain database standards;
- Ensure high DB availability as this has a public-facing web front end;
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses;
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity;
- Develop processes for optimizing database security;
- Install and maintain the performance of database servers;
- Performance tuning of database systems;
- Install, upgrade, and manage database applications;
- Create automation for repeated database tasks;
- Be available for on-call support as needed;
- Monitor database performance, implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required;
- Utilize tools and scrips to monitor all aspects of database performance including the underlying compute, storage and networking;
- Drive the adoption of processes within the team that consider and meet the expectations of technical throughput rates and responses; processing times; effective resource utilization during operation and where the system or solution ensures maximum operational capacity requirements are met;
- Good understanding of big data manipulation methodology;
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data;
- Diagnose and troubleshoot database errors.
- Create and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
- Recommend and implement emerging database technologies.
- Implement improved processes that have a positive effect on the team’s performance and company bottom line.
- Take an active involvement in problem resolution and where necessary works after hours to ensure that problems are resolved
- Shows foresight to prevent errors or delays in projects.
- Demonstrate initiative by understanding, acquiring and implementing new knowledge and skills both within a team and to the wider group
- Incorporates the new abilities into the day to day operational activities to improve the performance of products and systems
- Ensure techniques, technologies, tools and processes used are in line with industry best practices
- Identify team members requiring specific knowledge, skill or understanding and seek ways to impart or upskill the team members through coaching and mentorship
- Verify the knowledge has been imparted successfully and if not, take steps to rectify gaps in the transfer of the knowledge
- Provide technical guidance to the team through collaboration sessions and knowledge sharing initiatives
The Company We Keep:
At BET Software, we don’t just recruit talent, we cultivate it. Our learning and development programmes, our various opportunities for growth, and our well-deserved incentives are what keep our All-Star Team the best amongst the rest.